Ensembles & Audition Information (tab on left)
The first Sunday at 12:30 P.M , you will audition for placement with your instructor and ensemble(s). Please follow the link (ensemble audition information) to find out what is suggested for your performance.
Ensemble participation is a central part of daily activity at Cannon Music Camp. All ensembles are conducted by highly qualified professionals who work to achieve the highest standards of group musicianship.
Students may pursue additional interests as time allows , secondary lessons are available as schedules permit (optional, additional fee- see link).
- Chamber Singers is an auditioned group of 16-24 singers that performs a variety of choral literature from all stylistic periods. This group performs at least twice during the camp session. Auditions are held at the beginning of camp and are open to all campers. The audition consists of vocalization (range testing), tonal memory, and sight singing.
- Concert Choir is a non-auditioned group of 100+ singers that performs once during the camp session and is open to all campers. The Concert Choir performs a wide range of selections representing both classical and popular styles.
- Jazz Vocal Ensemble is an auditioned group of 8-12 singers and a rhythm section (piano, bass, drums). This ensemble is devoted to performing a variety of traditional and contemporary jazz literature. This includes everything from lush ballads, swing tunes and the blues, to Latin, pop and fusion pieces. In addition to experiencing ensemble singing in styles representing groups such as the Manhattan Transfer, Take 6, and Singers Unlimited, these students will have the opportunity to develop their musicianship through the intense exploration of jazz melodies, harmonies, rhythm and improvisation. This ensemble performs twice during the camp session.
- Treble Choir is a non-auditioned group of soprano and alto voices that perform music written specifically for treble voices. This ensemble performs once during the camp session.
- Honors Ensemble offers an honors ensemble experience for campers who audition and are most outstanding in their performing area. Currently, we offer an honors experience for a brass quintet (2 trumpets, horn, trombone, and tuba), a woodwind quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, and bassoon), a string quartet (2 violins, viola, cello), and a saxophone quartet (2 alto, tenor, baritone).
- Jazz Ensemble represent a significant part of the wind curriculum. There is no separate audition for this groups. Any instrumentalist wishing to participate should indicate their interest during their large ensemble placement audition.
- Percussion Ensemble is comprised of all percussion "majors," plus any other percussion players wishing to participate. Past performances of this ensemble have featured literature representing a variety of genres, including: "classic" concert percussion by composers such as Varese, Cage, Harrison, Cowell, and Chavez; contemporary concert percussion which have included premieres of works; fusion pieces utilizing a rhythm section, percussion, and mallets; and mid-East performance on middle-Eastern Rigs, North African Tars, and Irish Bodhrans. This ensemble performs once during the camp session.
- Piano Chamber Ensemble - a small ensemble class designed to give students exposure to and experience with piano music written for more than one player.
- String Chamber Ensemble are a significant part of all string players experience at camp. Each string student is placed into a trio or quartet for small ensemble exposure to both chamber literature and performance. These ensembles meet a minimum of twice weekly and are coached by the CMC string faculty.
- String Orchestra performs once during the camp session. Performing repertoire without the symphonic compliment of winds/percussion, this ensemble focuses on the continued development of ensemble playing and string sonorities.
- Symphonic Band is an auditioned ensemble comprised of wind and percussion students. The band rehearses daily and presents two concerts performing standard band repertoire.
- Symphony Orchestra performs twice during the camp session and performs standard symphonic repertoire.
- Wind Ensemble is made up of essentially "one-on-a-part" instrumentation and performs upper level standard repertoire. The Wind Ensemble has also accompanied numerous guest artists as a part of the camp season.
|Ensemble Placement & Theory Guide.pdf||196.42 KB|
Cannon Music Camp
Please use this email address for all correspondence.
Mr. James G. Daugherty